A Better Quality of Life
Many physicians refer patients to hospice care when they conclude “there’s nothing more we can do” to offset the final progressions of a disease. But the absence of curative treatment doesn’t mean all treatment stops. In fact, Arbor Hospice continues to apply a variety of treatments and therapies to manage pain and other symptoms, maximize the patient’s quality of life and help them achieve personal goals during the time that remains.
For many Americans, quality of life includes remaining where they call home during their final months. Surveys show that 80 percent of Americans say they would prefer to die at home, yet about 60 percent die in an acute care hospital. With the expert support of Arbor Hospice, patients can typically stay at home until their final breath.
Advantages of Arbor Hospice
You can add an entire interdisciplinary team of experts to your patient’s care circle by referring to Arbor Hospice. Our team includes physicians, nurses, social workers, counselors, spiritual counselors and trained volunteers. The Arbor Hospice team works with you, as well as the patient and their family, to develop a care plan and support network that meets the patient’s needs and wishes, surrounded by those they love.
Our team offers these valuable services:
- Managing the patient’s pain and other symptoms
- Providing, at no cost, the medications, medical equipment and supplies associated with the terminal illness
- Empowering the patient to live as they wish and fulfill personal goals
- Supporting the patient and family through the emotional, psychosocial and spiritual aspects of dying
- Teaching family caregivers the skills to be more capable and confident
- Delivering special services like integrative therapies, if needed
- Providing short-term inpatient care when pain or other symptoms become too difficult to manage at home, or if the family needs respite time